At Houghton International, we comply with – and in some areas exceed – IEEE 1068 specification for electric motor rewind and have controlled process and records in place to manage the electric motor rewind process. All motors will be wound to Class F or higher thermal class, upgrading the insulation quality where beneficial to our HiFLEX coil design.
A sample electric motor rewinding work scope includes –
- Receive motor components into our facility.
- Datum check all parts.
- Detail and strip stator windings.
- Clean and prepare stator core and carry out core test.
- Manufacture stator coils insulated as required.
- Carry out testing of the.
- VPI impregnate stator windings.
- Clean stator.
- Assemble, test and paint.
- QA check and make ready for delivery.
- All motor rewinding details reported in full to customer.
Work is carried out by an experienced team of multi-skilled electro mechanical engineers on customer’s premises or in-house in our purpose-built workshop. We have burn off and Vacuum Pressure Impregnation (V.P.I) facilities and in-house coil manufacturing capabilities for absolute control over quality and lead times.
Fully experienced in the rewind of a wide variety of electric motors in a range of voltages, with both soft and preformed coils, we routinely rewind more complex motors such a oil and water filled motors and large machines.
A recent study by EASA and AEMT found that when electric motors were rewound using good practice, such as those followed at Houghton International, there was no significant change in the efficiency of the motors and in some instances, efficiency actually increased. This clearly dispels the belief that a rewind is actually detrimental to a motor’s performance.
Rewinding is also more cost-efficient and environmentally friendly, as the stator housing, rotor and shafts are retained and reused. This significantly contributes towards the circular economy minimising waste through reusing, repairing, refurbishing and recycling existing materials and products.
- About Houghton International - brochure download
- Electric motors - brochure download
- Electro mechanical services - showcase video
- Winding - showcase video
Contact us for more information on our electric motor overhaul rewind services
Get in touch using the boxes below and we’ll get back to you.