Houghton International was founded by Ron and Christine Mitten in 1984 and was set up to supply coils to Portland Electrical Repairs in Nigeria. The company was originally based in Houghton-le-Spring, which inspired its name.
In 1990 the company moved to larger, more modern premises in South Shields and set up as one of the most advanced coil manufacturing and motor repair facilities in the UK. In 1998 the company expanded and moved to its present site in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Over the years its innovation and reputation for quality within the industry has gone from strength to strength and it prides itself on the relationships it has built with its clients.
During this time Houghton International has grown from one customer to over 400 in the UK and beyond and is currently actively exporting to over 25 countries worldwide, including: Canada, Greece, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Nigeria, Norway, Venezuela, the Middle East, the USA and the Caribbean.
Houghton International now operates under three divisions. EMS: its electro mechanical services division that specialises in the repair, monitoring, maintenance and life extension of electrical rotating machines. Rail: a division set up to specifically service the needs of the railway industry to reduce costs and improve reliability by extending the life of their electro-mechanical assets. HVC: its high voltage coil division.
In 2009 Houghton International celebrated its Silver Jubilee Year and secured a second, additional, factory base with increased capacity. This was followed by its third site in early 2012 and a fourth in 2016, which has dramatically increased capacity for every area of the business.
The company has achieved ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and 18001 accreditation and has various compliance awards for safety critical sectors, including Oil & Gas (offshore), Petro-Chemicals (explosive atmospheres) and ATOC approval in 2006 and RISAS accreditation on 2015 to work within the UK Rail industry.
Houghton International is an active member of the AEMT and EASA and has pledged to uphold the aims and objectives of both organisations.
The company has expanded over the last 30 years into a multi-million pound, multinational business specialising in innovation in the repair, maintenance and life extension of rotating electrical machines.
For more information on Houghton International and the range of services it offers please get in touch.
- Winner of Apprenticeships category at the North East Business Awards 2014, Tyneside & Northumberland.
- Finalist at the Rail Business Awards 2013
- Achieved environmental management system accreditation to BSI EN ISO 14001:2004.
- Patent awarded for HiTRANS™1 Our transient MA Set loading testing process
1. Protected by UK Patent No 2494369
- Winner SME Excellence award at 2013 Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development North East Awards
- Achieved Occupational Health and Safety Management System accreditation to OHSAS 18001:2007
- Opened third facility
- Completed largest single order for leading international offshore services provider
- Commenced £1.5m expansion plan
- Launched HiTRANS™ Transient Dynamic MA Set Load Test Process
- Celebrated 25 Year Silver Anniversary
- Opened second facility
- Won third rail contract
- Winner North East England Small Business of the Year Award
- Won second rail contract
- Michael Mitten appointed Chief Executive Officer
- DC traction motor heavy repair services developed
- Ron Mitten elected President of the Association of Electrical and Mechanical Trades
- Won first rail contract
- Light traction motor overhaul facility opened
- Commenced rewinding AC traction motors
- Launched motor repair & coil manufacturing divisions
- Founded by Christine and Ron Mitten in Houghton-le-Spring, County Durham