Combining our high voltage and traction motor expertise we have solved the problem of deteriorating traction motors insulation systems, eliminating failures and significantly extending life span.
HiTRAX coil insulation system was specifically designed for use in the rail industry, addressing the unique conditions of moisture ingress and significant temperature variation that contribute to the deterioration of a traction motors dielectric integrity. Units running with our HiTRAX insulation solution have been running without a single failure across the UK rail system for almost 17 years.
Additional work carried out during a heavy repair or rewind could include –
- Full armature rewind with existing commutator, including the manufacture of new coils and VPI process
- Full armature rewind with new commutator, including the manufacture of new coils and VPI process
- Full field and interpole rewind, including the manufacture of new coils and VPI process
- Full field and interpole re-insulation and VPI process
- Supply and fit of new armature shaft
- Weld repairs from failed NDT / MPI checks
We are the UK’s only train traction motor repairer with the capability to rewind and vacuum pressure impregnate (VPI) both epoxy and silicone resins and all traction coils are manufactured and tested in house, in our dedicated coil facility, ensuring full control over quality and delivery.
We work with customers to improve the performance of their traction motors. With over 30 years’ experience in coil manufacturing and motor rewinds, Houghton International’s operational divisions routinely deal with ad-hoc and emergency rewinds alongside our planned maintenance programmes.
We understand the challenges faced by operators and have flexible working arrangement in place to accommodate demand, such as during heavy snow fall or unexpected failures.
Related Case Studies
A London bus operating company
Contact us for more information about our AC & DC traction motor rewind services
Get in touch using the boxes below and we’ll get back to you.