Vacuum Pressure Impregnation (VPI) Facility
Houghton International offer an in-house Vacuum Pressure Impregnation (VPI) facility for both epoxy and silicone resins.
Motors, generators, and coils up to 2.13 meters (7 ft) in diameter are processed under vacuum and pressure with solventless epoxy or silicone resin to provide void-free electrical windings.
We are able to provide VPI for AC and DC stators, armatures and field coils. Large frame motors from 460 volts through to 13,800 volts should receive VPI treatment to ensure the longest attainable service life.
The benefits of VPI include;
- Vastly improves performance and reliability even in the harshest working environments.
- Machines last longer.
- Machines require less maintenance.
- Provides greater mechanical strength.
- Completely seals the windings against moisture and vibration.
- Provides positive pay-back over a short period of time.
- Provides a cooler running motor due to superior heat dissipation.
- Greatly superior to solvent varnishes and conventional “dip and bake” method.
- Provides improved corona protection.
- Virtually impervious to oil, moisture and chemical contaminants.
- The most effective way known to eliminate the dead air spaces that cause hot spots within coils.
- Alongside a high specification resin, VPI provides a low thermal resistance path that lowers the average operating temperature.
- Enhances the dielectric capability between windings and ground, allowing for it to survive higher voltage stress levels without failure.
- VPI provides a 100% solid mass structure that provides the greatest mechanical strength.
- Provides the highest level of environmental protection.